Labrador retrievers are one of the most loved dog breeds in the world. They make incredible family dogs because they are well-behaved, easy to train, loving, and incredibly smart. However, their past is not as docile!
Labrador retrievers are historically known for being hunting dogs. This doesn’t necessarily mean that labs love to hunt, but they are great hunting trip companions.
Traditionally, Labradors are used to assist hunters who are out to catch birds, such as ducks, quail, and pheasants. However, this large breed of dog can also be great at hunting larger animals, like deer and wild hogs.
Why? Because Labrador retrievers have an excellent sense of smell!
Here are a few other characteristics that make Labrador retrievers great hunting companions:
- Tail. Labs have a big, thick tail with strong muscles. This helps them swim through water to catch fallen birds.
- Webbed feet. Their webbed feet help labs swim through water with power.
- Waterproof fur. Labs have a thick, waterproof coat that helps them glide through water, dry off quickly, and stay warm.
- Lots of energy. If you’ve ever had a Labrador retriever in your home, you know they have energy that can last for hours on end! That makes them great companions for long days in the woods, running around and fetching game.
- Smart. Labrador retrievers are very smart dogs, which makes them easy to train. It takes a lot of control to fetch an animal and not get distracted or try to eat it! The fact that a lab is too easy to train is precisely what makes them great hunters.
Learn more about Labrador Retrievers
Want to learn more about everyone’s favorite dog breed? Visit our homepage! We have answers to the most commonly asked questions and plenty of fun facts about labs. Contact us if you would like us to write an article about something you don’t see!